About the Team Essentials Survey
Team Essentials Overview
Our Team Assess Survey System is based on a Team Essentials Model for managing and leading teams developed by Dr. Tim Buividas, a leading Team Performance Expert. The model suggests that Team Performance is composed of 7 Key Essential Success Factors that can be measured and improved upon. Each Essential is further divided into sub-components. These 7 Factors are depicted below and are followed by an explanation of each. This model and assessment have been independently proven , by The University of Illinois Chicago, to be highly reliable and valid.
7 Key Team Essentials Factors Defined
A descriptor of each Team Essential component is provided below:
The purpose of a team is to create results – we call this Team Output. This section of the survey examines how the team is getting results. Team Output sub-components includes goal clarity and alignment, team productivity and measurement, work identity, and meaningful work. This Team Essentials component consists of 35 questions. This Team Essential component is offered in both the Complete and Basic Assessment options.
A basic team assumption is that if team members work well together, team performance will be enhanced. Team Effectiveness measures how people work together. Team Effectiveness sub-components includes communication, trust, collaboration, innovation, conflict resolution, mutual accountability, commitment, and cohesion. This Team Essentials component consists of 21 questions. This Team Essential component is offered in both the Complete and Basic Assessment options.
To earn team membership, an individual must perform his or her duties to the fullest degree possible. Individual contribution sub-components includes skill level, talents, attributes, personal accountability, attitudes, and motivation of the individual. It also considers how the individual lives the organizational values, strives towards achieving the vision, and contributes to the mission of the organization. This Team Essentials component consists of 33 questions. This Team Essential component is offered only in the Complete Assessment option.
For teamwork to be efficient, structures, processes, procedures, and guidelines need to be in place. Structure sub-components includes group norms and guidelines, coordination, planning and decision making, roles and responsibilities, and documentation. This Team Essentials component consists of 19 questions. This Team Essential component is offered only in the Complete Assessment option.
At the team level, leadership is defined as both the management and the leadership of a team. Typically there is a relationship between effective and efficient team leadership and team performance. Great leadership gets great results and poor leadership gets poor results. Leadership sub-components includes direction from leader, leadership approach, and feedback from the leader. This Team Essentials component consists of 20 questions. This Team Essential component is offered only in the Complete Assessment option.
Team performance is dependent upon organizational support. Teams need intra-organizational support, abundant resources, sufficient budgets, dedicated team time, necessary training, functional support, and organizational leadership support. For higher performance, teaming needs to be included in the organizational philosophy (mission, vision, values, and culture). Organizational Support sub-components includes resources and support, organizational recognition, and inter-team dynamics. This Team Essentials component consists of 15 questions. This Team Essential component is offered only in the Complete Assessment option.
Team Type impacts how a team is perceived and how it performances. Team Type is collected as a demographic on the Team Essentials Assessment. In the near future performance data will be additionally provided specifically by team type. Team Type includes team type, duration, location, number of team members, and team relationship. This Team Essential component will be offered only in the Complete Assessment option.
Two Team Essentials Assessment Options
We offer our Team Essentials assessment in two different versions: 1) Team Essentials Complete and 2) Team Essentials Basic.
- The Team Essentials Complete assessment is composed of all seven core components. This assessment provides a full measure of the Team Essentials model and is best used for team performance improvement and development. Team Essentials Complete has an option for a Progress Report that provides a Pre / Post Progress Report that measure gain and gaps in team performance.
- The Team Essentials Basic assessment is composed of only Team Output and Team Effectiveness. This assessment provides a basic indication of team performance. It is also the most economical assessment to use.
What types of team situations benefit from a Team Essentials Assessment?
- A Team Reset: Leaders can find the root causes of poor performance, not just the symptoms, and determine what to improve.
- A Team Jump Start: Managers can get teams off to the right start by learning their strengths and weaknesses. Repeat assessments can measure improved performance.
- Taking a Team to the Next Level: When a team needs to grow and improve, leaders can get a vital baseline and actions to take the team to the next level.
- Leadership Coaching: Team Essentials is an exceptional tool for gathering feedback for coaching leaders. It complements most Leadership Coaching Approaches.
Ready to give it a try? Click the link below to increase your team’s performance!
START YOUR TEAM ESSENTIALS ASSESSMENT